Historic River Cruise on the Capitol Hornblower in Old Sacramento | Families
Hornblower Cruises and Events, located in Old Sacramento, provides a one hour Sacramento Historic River Cruise aboard the Capitol Hornblower for $20 per person. Though I’ve lived in Sacramento since 1989, I only just recently experienced the Capitol Hornblower with my son (age 4) for the first time. Our Historic River Cruise was a fun and educational way to spend the afternoon. I found myself wondering why it had taken me so long to enjoy this activity and what else might be lurking in Sacramento for me to enjoy? One things for sure, since becoming a parent, I see new and exciting things to discover almost everywhere I look. What a blessing children are in that they allow us to see the world through their eyes!
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
A one-hour narrated cruise from the talented First Officer, he’s both funny and engaging. Beautiful scenic views of Old Sacramento's celebrated historical sites, including the Delta King, the I Street Bridge, Tower Bridge, and Air Force Docks. A lesson in the history of Sacramento, from the beginnings of the Gold Rush to the early days of Pony Express. The River City is chock full of interesting history and picturesque sights. Interesting fact: Did you know the I Street Bridge is as old as the Titanic?
SNACKS AND REFRESHMENTS
The Capitol Hornblower features a bar on its upper deck that serves snacks, refreshments, and libations. Though I did not order them, I caught a glimpse of an order of nachos as they were passing by and they looked amazing. (I’m a bit of a nacho connoisseur. To date, my favorite nachos are from Arco Arena.) Instead of purchasing food, I opted for packing a small cooler bag with water and snacks for my son. I doubt outside food or drink is allowed on board but I had the cooler bag in the back of my stroller and it went undetected as I boarded. Besides, who’s going to confiscate string cheese from a 4 year old? Knock on wood.
TIPS FOR PARENTS
- You’ll have to fold your stroller and carry it up the stairs between the lower and upper levels, there’s no elevator.
- Children under 4 are complimentary. Children 4 to 12 are 40 - 50% off, depending on cruise type and port location.
- When you arrive, please check in at the ticket booth located at 1206 Front Street.
- Hornblower does not validate for parking.
- If you have an extra $2k - $3k lying around, The Capitol Hornblower is available to rent for birthday parties. Price depends on number of people, food options, and drink/bar choices. Call for a custom quote.
Hornblower Cruises and Events, Old Sacramento
1206 Front Street
Tina Buell is the Northern California Destination Specialist for Trekaroo, a website to inspire parents to explore the world with their children.